Buckwheat and Buttermilk Pancakes
Great for those lazy morning, enjoy these fluffy, wholegrain pancakes for all the family – who’d guess they were gluten free! Easily adapted to your own requirements.
Gluten free / wheat free / can be dairy / sugar and vegan free
70 grams buckwheat flour
70 grams rice flour
1 lightly rounded teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon bread soda
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
15 grams (1 tablespoon) unrefined brown sugar (rapadura is ideal or xylitol)
1 large egg
120 mls natural yoghurt
125-150 mls buttermilk
1 tablespoon melted butter
- Sieve all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Whisk wet ingredients together and add to flour mixture. Stir into dry ingredients and mix to a smooth thick creamy batter.
- Heat pan, add a little butter or coconut oil and spoon mixture onto pan. Allow bubbles to appear before turning over. Allow to cook for approximately one more minute then serve with you favourite topping.
- Maggie’s Tip: Add berries, a teaspoon of fruit puree, sliced banana, diced apples, chopped nuts before turning pancake over on pan.
- Change to a savoury pancake by omitting cinnamon and sugar
Diabetic Friendly, add some nuts and seeds ✔
Coeliac Friendly ✔
Child Friendly ✔
Vegan Friendly: Replace egg natural yoghurt with 250 mls of soy yoghurt and replace buttermilk with 125-150 ml soya, coconut or rice milk. Cook pancakes in coconut oil ✔
Sugar free: Leave out sugar ✔
Dairy free opt: Omit natural yoghurt and buttermilk and replace with soya yoghurt or coconut milk ✔