70 grams buckwheat flour
70 grams brown rice flour
1 lightly rounded teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon bread soda
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
15 grams (1 tablespoon) unrefined brown sugar (rapadura is ideal)
1 large egg
120 ml natural yoghurt
125-150 ml buttermilk
1 tablespoon melted butter or odourless coconut oil
- Sieve all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Whisk wet ingredients together and add to flour mixture. Stir into dry ingredients and mix to a smooth thick creamy batter.
- Heat pan, add a little butter or coconut oil, then spoon mixture onto pan. Allow bubbles to appear before turning over. Allow to cook for one more minute, then serve with your favourite topping.
- Add berries, fruit purees, nuts, sliced banana, apples and other fruits before turning pancake on pan.
- Transform to a savoury pancake by omitting cinnamon and sugar.
- Diabetic friendly version: Omit rapadura and use stevia or xylitol for sweetened pancake. Also add some nuts and seeds for extra protein.
- Vegan friendly version: Replace eggs and natural yoghurt with 250 ml soya or coconut yoghurt, and buttermilk with 125-150 ml soya, coconut, rice or almond milk. Cook pancakes in coconut oil.
- Sugar free: Leave out sugar
- Dairy free: Omit natural yoghurt and butter milk – replace with soya or coconut options